Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Be careful what you ask for

A good friend of mine has the coolest blog. He and his family have the most entertaining events in their daily life. As I read his blogs I have wanted to create a family blog but I wasn't sure if life was interesting enough to journal. Well, I wanted interesting. . .

Sunday afternoon we started smelling the smoke and knew the fires were getting closer. Sunday evening I went outside to meet Patty at the curb and was outside 5 minutes and came inside covered in ashes. So as I went to bed Sunday night I thought I will just lay my clothes right here on the foot of my bed just in case I need to leave in a hurry. Tom just looked at me and rolled his eyes.

Monday morning 6:30 am Tom's phone rings and his partner tells him we are under mandatory evacuation the fires are headed our way. As you can only imagine, I was out of bed and dressed in under 30 seconds ready to leave with no personal belongings whatsoever. Chanelle, you will be glad to know I did not run up and down the halls yelling a fire was coming and I did not trip over anything and fall down. Tom however thinks nobody official called us so I don't know if we really need to leave. He proceeds to take a shower and shave and then gets down his suitcase to start packing. I, on the other hand, had a laundry basket full of garments and a few other clean clothes sitting on the floor so I opened a suitcase dumped the laundry basket in and said ok I'm ready let's go. Tom's still not sure we should leave because we haven't had an official word.

7:00 am a member of our old ward called and said she had gotten a call from the ward and asked if we had gotten a call from our ward leaders. Being new to the ward I think we fell through the cracks and we did not receive a call.

7:30 am Bags are packed (not very well) Tom is trying to keep me calm as the news station shows mandatory evacuation for our entire area. Aubri calls just to talk because we haven't talked for a while and she innocently asks what I'm doing. Well, I'm video taping all of our belongings, the newly remodeled kitchen and bathroom. You know just the regular monday morning activities. I didn't quite know how to calmly tell her why I was video taping but I managed to let her know I needed to call her back.


8:00 am Tom finally agrees we should do ask the city officials have asked and evacuate. We are out of gas and head for the gas station that has a line of about 50 cars. The line is out of the gas station and down the street so we decide to driver further away from home to get gas and head for the freeway. the onramps are backed up worse than the gas station lines. So we take indirect roads until we make it to the 5 and head to our friends that live right by the temple and Tom's work. We had brought our temple bags and recommends along incase the temple needed us for our shift on Wed.

10:00 am we arrive at our friends who live about 4 freeway exit away from us and 10 minutes on a normal day.

Tues. 2:00 pm

It has gotten very boring and monotonous ever since. We are just waiting out the mandatory evacuations and hoping to go home soon. The stats are a little mindblowing. The last count was 513,000 people evacuated and just 1 of the fires (the one headed toward our neck of the woods) has burned over 400,000 acres. If you want to see maps etc. here is a good site to check out.

http://www.topix.com/san-diego/2007/10/san-diego-fire-maps

http://sosdfirreblog.blogspot.com

http://signongsandiego.com

No comments: