Sunday, October 28, 2007

Passports, Photos, Patriarchal Blessings

As the days go by and we get back to normal everyday life I continue to be grateful and thank my Father in Heaven that we did not suffer loss from the fire.  At the same time I am continually thinking what should I have taken or what would I have taken if I had more time and if I was prepared.  

We were not prepared.  We do have a 72 hour kit.  It along with our tent, our sleeping bags and a case of water were thrown into the truck.  Tom opened the safe and brought all of our vital records like birth certificates etc.  But in reality we were not prepared.  I remember as a kid having the dreaded family home evening where we talked about a plan for fire escape and I would have nightmares for several nights of being trapped in my room caught in a fire yet if the fire had made it to our door what would I have done.  I worry every night (even before the fires hit) because Tom has so much saw dust, varnish, paint etc. stored in the garage yet I don't have a ladder to escape out our window if there ever was a fire.  

I learned a valuable lesson and have set my course to get prepared and know exactly what I would want to take and have it copied and stored offsite (like kids pictures) or have it handy and ready to grab.  I joked about coming back for my pillow and not knowing where my passport is but it's not really funny I should know where my passport is and I should have thought clearly enough to know I would need the comfort of my pillow to help me deal with the stress of being evacuated.  

Yes, we were prepared on the surface and we could have lived in our tent and eaten our 72 hours worth of supply but is that enough?  

In Relief Society today we talked a lot about what we did and how we dealt with the evacuation.  In listening to others who brought pictures of their horse, or all their shoes, or their surfboard I think we were pretty level headed but I would have been heartsick to have lost everything and not had some momentos.   Everyone made suggestions of what we should have taken and I think we are going to compile a list. 

The weather has cooperated and the fires are about 50% contained.  But the news said there are still over 2,000 residents at risk.  

Over 2, 300 homes burned last week and with the best count the church leaders have been able to do only 18 members of the church lost their home.  Nobody in our stake lost their home.  Our bishop came close but he stayed and saved his own home.  Don't know that I would recommend that but it worked to his benefit.  

Coming that close to losing everything has been a valuable lesson and I hope none of you ever half to learn it.  Be prepared, you never know when there will be the need. 

No comments: